Fashion Focus Africa Application Opens
This year, Lagos Fashion Week uses its annual Fashion Focus programme to cement its work and dedication to providing support for emerging talent with the launch of Fashion Focus Africa. Established in 2011, Fashion Focus (formerly known as Young Designer of The Year) is dedicated to the growth and promotion of emerging talent in the fashion industry through mentoring and awarding a grant via the Fashion Focus Fund.
In partnership with FETS Wallet and Avivere, Fashion Focus presents unique opportunities for emerging talents to harness their skills through business development workshops, creative workshops, and mentorships with the aim to provide young designers with the tools they need to facilitate innovation, accelerate growth and achieve commercial success.
The Fashion Focus programme, which was previously open to only Nigerian talent is now taking applications from all over Africa.
Speaking on the new direction of Fashion Focus, Londe Thompson, Programme Director, Fashion Focus Africa & Fashion Focus City Tours stated:
“Opening up opportunities that the Fashion Focus programme offers to emerging talent across the continent is in line with our commitment to developing the African Fashion Industry. The vision is to provide a level playing field for African fashion talents to thrive within Africa and the rest of the world.”
Why should I Apply?
- Eligibility to apply for the #LFWNG Fashion Focus Fund
- Business and Creative Skills Workshop
- Business and Creative Mentoring
- Opportunity to showcase at LFW in 2019
- Endless access to market opportunities
- Designers must have a minimum of 2 years working experience
- Designers will be required to send moodboards and sketches of their work in addition to physical samples
- Designers must have existing points of sale
- Designers must be capable of developing and presenting a full collection
What’s the Application Deadline?
14th September 2018
All applications received will be reviewed. Ten (10) shortlisted applicants will be invited to present their work to a selection panel at Lagos Fashion Week in October 2018.
The 5 Finalists for the Fashion Focus Africa 2018/19 session will be announced and programme will commence December – January 2019.
To apply, visit their website.