Have You Tried Yummy Carribean Rice With Beans?
As humans especially, we are often left with the dilemma of what to eat. After so many thought, we are still left to settle with the cliché meals like Jollof rice, and fried rice.
Since rice is inevitable a constant part of our diet, as Nigerians, you can garnish it in different new ways. A good example is a Jamaican delicacy – Caribbean Rice with long-grain beans.
To prepare, you do need a list of ingredients and method of preparation as detailed below:
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2-3 garlic clove , minced
- ½ medium onion , diced
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice (Basmati rice can be used)
- 1 spring fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- (1 3/4 cups) coconut milk
- 5 oz can red kidney beans or long-grain beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 small bay leaves
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth or water
- 1 tspn chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper.
- 1 tspn paprika (optional)
- Wash rice until water runs clear. Drain water.
- Heat a saucepan with vegetable oil.
- Then add onions, garlic, thyme, and hot pepper, sauté for about a minute.
- Stir in rice to the pan, followed by beans for about 2 minutes, then add coconut milk, bay leaf, bouillon powder, creole spice, with 3 cups of water.
- Bring to boil reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes – 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally from the sides to prevent burns, add more water if needed.
- Adjust for salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves you have to stir occasionally to be preventing any burns.
- Serve warm.
Note: Carribean rice with beans can be served with the goat curry sauce as a side dish.