Wednesday, 1st December 2021
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Travis Scott, Astroworld Organisers Sued For $750m

By Oreoritse Tariemi
18 November 2021   |   10:53 am
Travis Scott and organisers of the Astroworld music festival have been sued for $750m (£556m) by more than 125 people who were caught up in the festival's tragedy. The Plaintiffs include the family of Axel Acosta, one of the ten people who died in the Astroworld tragedy. The suit claims Scott and guest star Drake…

Travis-Scott | Entertainment Weekly

Travis Scott and organisers of the Astroworld music festival have been sued for $750m (£556m) by more than 125 people who were caught up in the festival’s tragedy.

The Plaintiffs include the family of Axel Acosta, one of the ten people who died in the Astroworld tragedy.

The suit claims Scott and guest star Drake kept performing despite accounts of “lifeless bodies being passed through the crowd in full view of the stage.”

However, Travis Scott has said that he was not aware of the tragedy until he came off stage.

In a statement released last week following the event, the rapper said he was “distraught” by the events in Houston, Texas, on 5 November and promised to “provide aid” to every affected family.

Drake also released an official statement noting that his “heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone else who is suffering.”

The suit papers filed in the United States also names festival promoters Live Nation; technology giant Apple, which streamed the concert; Scott’s record labels Epic and Cactus Jack; the operators of Houston’s NRG Park venue; and firms who provided security and medical services.

The case claims that Acosta had been “crushed by the incited, unruly and out-of-control crowd” and lay dying while the music continued for almost 40 minutes.

“Certainly, neither Travis Scott nor his handlers, entourage, managers, agents, hangers on, promoters, organizers or sponsors cared enough about Axel to make even a minimal effort to keep him and the others at the concert safe,” it said.

In an Instagram video released after the concert, Scott said on Instagram that he “could just never imagine the severity of the situation” while he was performing.

Live Nation said in a statement: “We continue to support and assist local authorities in their ongoing investigation so that both the fans who attended and their families can get the answers they want and deserve, and we will address all legal matters at the appropriate time.”

However, other defendants are yet to comment on the case publicly. Meanwhile survivors and families of victims of the Astroworld tragedy have filed dozens of cases.