The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter

21 PDP candidates withdraw polls’ petitions in Anambra


Anambra State

Anambra state. PHOTO: jujufilms

TWENTY-ONE candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who contested for seats in the recent House of Assembly elections in Anambra State have decided to withdraw their petitions from the election petitions tribunal.

In a statement they issued in Amawbia, Anambra State after their meeting with the Deputy Governor of the state, Dr. Nkem Okeke, the candidates declared that their decision was borne out of the need to save the state from any acrimonious legal battle.

They said: “Our decision was part of the sacrifice for the state and to enable us co-operate with the Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, to move Anambra State forward in view of the good works which he is presently doing in the state.

“To effectively achieve the above, we the said PDP candidates have undertaken not to take up or initiate petitions, claims, reliefs or demands whatsoever in any tribunal, court, panel or commission of inquiry in respect of any matter arising directly or indirectly from the April 11, 2015 Anambra House of Assembly elections.”

Explaining further, the group said they had agreed that “whoever may have already filed or initiated such petitions, summons, claims or reliefs will immediately after this meeting, withdraw or cause same to be withdrawn at his or her own expense.”

Supporting the views of the candidates, Egwuoyibo Okoye, a lawyer, who was the flagbearer for Nnewi South II Constituency, said that the primary concern of the candidates was what should be done to move Anambra State forward.

According to him: “We of the PDP, 21 of us that contested election in PDP, came together and decided not to proceed to the tribunal. Those of us that had gone to the tribunal equally agreed to withdraw the petition they had already filed. The essence of that is to make this state remain as calm as possible, creating the enabling environment for Obiano to continue with his programme because our distracting him at the tribunal might delay his programme. We want him to continue to work and make sure Anambra State is moved forward. We need to develop Anambra State. No distraction. And we mean business.”

Speaking further, Okoye pointed out that the candidates took a “cue from the action of President Goodluck Jonathan who congratulated Gen. Muhammadu Buhari even before the final result in the last election was announced. And that brought a very big peace into the country. Without that, Nigeria would have been boiling today. That is exactly what we want to engender in Anambra State to ensure that there is absolute peace to enable the governor and those that were elected to serve the people and also have the peace they need to move Anambra State forward.”

Responding, the Deputy Governor, Dr. Nkem Okeke, thanked the group for demonstrating remarkable patriotism and extraordinary sportsmanship.

  • Anti Hypocrisy

    Nice move. Peace leads to progress.

  • Blastpot

    patriotic anambrarians kudos to you all. willy is doing well lets keep supporting him. welldone guys