The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Abductors of Ondo monarch’s wife, children demand N60m ransom

Related

The abductors of Olori Regina Akinrinmade, wife of Oba Rufus Akinrinmade, the Orunja of Odigbo kingdom and her two daughters, have demanded N60 million ransom for their release. Chief Olu Akinsawe, the Odofin of Odigbo kingdom confirmed this development to newsmen yesterday in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The monarch’s wife, her two daughters and their drivers, were abducted by gunmen on Saturday along Owo-Oba-Ikare Akoko road while heading to Akungba Akoko. Also abducted at the weekend was Adebayo Gbenga at Oba Akoko on Owo-Akungba Road in Akoko South West Local Government Area of the state.

“They are still in the kidnappers’ den as I speak; the security agencies are yet to know their whereabouts. The abductors have reduced their ransom from N100 million to N60 million. We have been praying for their safety, we therefore, appeal to the abductors to release them unhurt,” Akinsawe said.

He, however, called on the state government and security agencies within and around the area to help rescue the monarch’s family from their abductors. All efforts to speak with SP Femi Joseph, spokesman of the Ondo State Police Command on the matter proved abortive, as he could not be contacted on phone as at the time of this report.  

It was gathered that Gbenga, an official of the West African Examination Council (WAEC) working in Akure office, was taking his son and his friend to the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko (AAUA) when the incident happened.

According to a source, Gbenga, who was driving his Toyota Corolla car, was accosted along with other motorists on the road by gunmen. Gbenga’s friend and his son escaped from being kidnapped as they quickly opened the door of the car and ran into the bush. He said the gunmen, after capturing Gbenga, marched him and three others, believed to be the monarch’s family, in another vehicle into the bush.

A source close to the family disclosed that the kidnappers had called to demand N20 million ransom. The source said the kidnappers also called their victim’s boss in WAEC office in Akure and threatened to kill him if they refused to pay the money.

He said the WAEC officer’s plea that they could only raise N1.2 million for his freedom was rebuffed by the kidnappers who warned them to raise the money quickly.

Meanwhile, some gunmen in the late hours of Sunday, invaded the official residence of the Bayelsa State Commissioner for Water Resources, Mr. Nengi Talbot, and abducted his six year-old-son, Antonio.

The police confirmed that the abduction took place at about 10:30p.m. on Sunday at the Commissioners’ quarter in Opolo axis of Yenagoa, the state capital.

As at Monday, the teenager was still being held hostage by his abductors in an unknown location and the abductors were yet to contact the family nor made a ransom demand.

The Bayelsa police command spokesman, SP Asinim Butswat, said the command had already launched a manhunt for the abductors to ensure that the minor was freed unhurt.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet