The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Agriculture panacea to falling oil price says Esele


agricFormer President of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Petroleum And Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) and Governorship aspirant under the platform of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in Edo state and immediate past President of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Comrade Peter Esele has said getting it right in the country requires that all hands must be on deck to pursue aggressively, reforms in education, as well as encouraging investment in Agriculture with a view to promoting rapid economic development to drive the economy.

Esele decried the dwindling economy of the country in recent times saying the mainstay of the country’s economy which is basically crude oil, is no longer booming and has become a curse rather than a blessing to Nigerians, following the present economic crunch and crash in the price of crude oil at the international market. He said there was need to focus on improving local production to grow the economy in the face of the present economic realities adding that, “promoting local production is the catalyst for any economy to grow and thrive.”

Speaking at a media briefing in Benin, Esele said the cardinal point of his guber ambition is geared towards development of Edo state with particular emphasis on Education, Culture and Agriculture. Esele, while applauding the state governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole for contributing immensely to developing the state, particularly the Education sector, said there was still more to be done in the sector, in view of the high demand for quality education in the state. “Crude oil is a curse to the country rather than a blessing. You cannot define a society on the basis of crude oil production.

What Nigeria lacks is diversification of the economy. Let Nigeria add value to agriculture, as the man who adds value to local production makes more money as seen globally. I can confirm this as I am privileged to be more travelled than the other aspirants. The three senatorial districts of the state constitute good basis for palm oil production. Government can set up oil palm mill and partner private investors like Okomu oil palm and Presco industry who presently only account for 30 percent of what we consume locally while the remaining 70percent are imported,” Esele said.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet