Saturday, 1st October 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

A’Ibom probes collapsed building, commiserates with families

By Inemesit Akpan-Nsoh, Uyo
19 September 2022   |   4:20 am
Following the collapse of a four-storey building on Iman Street, off Aka Road in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, Governor Udom Emmanuel has directed the state Commissioner for Works and Fire Service, Prof. Eno Ibanga...

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom. Photo/FACEBOOK/Mbiedabasi/MrUdomEmmanuel

Following the collapse of a four-storey building on Iman Street, off Aka Road in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, Governor Udom Emmanuel has directed the state Commissioner for Works and Fire Service, Prof. Eno Ibanga, to set up a panel of inquiry to investigate the incident.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Ini Ememobong, and made available to journalists in Uyo, yesterday.

The governor also conveyed his condolences to families, whose members were affected in the ill-fated building, and wished the survivors quick recovery.

He also directed the Commissioner for Health to take over the management of the survivors. He said: “The panel is to conclude its work within one month, and if it is found that the collapse of the building was as a result of any acts of negligence or wrongdoing, those responsible will face the full wrath of the law.”

Recall that on Saturday evening, about six o’clock, a four-storey building, under construction, collapsed at Iman Street, off Aka road, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital.

It was gathered that the building, which was meant to be a six-storey hotel building, collapsed while on the fourth floor of its construction.

Commenting on the incident, a bus driver plying Aka-Obot Idim route told The Guardian, the collapse occurred about 7.00 p.m. on Saturday and that most of those trapped were reportedly workers on the construction site.

“This incident happened about 7.00 pm today (Saturday) and people, mostly construction workers, are still trapped inside,” he said.

The Secretary of the Nigeria Red Cross Society in Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Iniuma Okorodoh, who also confirmed the incident, said about four victims had been rescued and taken to the hospital, adding that an excavator was still being expected to rescue those still under the rubble.

“Yes, I can confirm that there was an incident like that this evening. So far, volunteers, who are on ground said four persons have been taken to the hospital and they are waiting for an excavator to rescue those trapped in the rubble. Those taken to the hospital are either wounded or unconscious.”

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Odiko Macdon, confirmed the incident, adding that the Commissioner of Police, Olatoye Durosinmi, had ordered deployment of officers to safeguard life and property.

The PPRO, who could not give an actual number of casualties, promised to keep the people informed on development concerning the collapsed building.

In this article