Akeredolu tests negative, recounts experience
• Gov accuses deputy of sponsoring protests
• ‘It is the figment of a drowning govt,’ says Ajayi
• SSG resigns, wishes gov quick recovery
Ondo State Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, who declared his positive status last week Tuesday, has tested negative for COVID-19, expressing great hope of overcoming the deadly pandemic soon.
Akeredolu, who disclosed this yesterday at a weekly media briefing at the Government House, mourned the death of the state’s Commissioner for Health, Dr. Wahab Adegbenro, saying that he chose not to appoint a new commissioner in the bid to honour the faithful departed.
He confirmed that the state recorded 62 cases between Saturday and Sunday, making it 472 total cases, 113 discharged while 20 died, including Adegbenro, who was also the Chairman of the Inter-ministerial Committee Against COVID-19.
He said: “As you all know, I have also been a victim of COVID-19. Though asymptomatic, I tested positive to the virus and immediately went into self-isolation with supervised home management.
“Those days in isolation were defining period for me. They convinced me further of the right track we have chosen, to mobilise our people against the deadly pandemic.
Meanwhile, Akeredolu has accused his deputy, Agboola Ajayi, of sponsoring protests to discredit him tomorrow.
While speaking with journalists in Akure yesterday, the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Mr. Donald Ojogo, disclosed that the said protests were planned to take place in Akure and Abuja simultaneously.
Ojogo, who declared that the deputy governor was “a threat to good governance in the state,” said that Ajayi had planned to stop at nothing to disrupt the peace in the state and hijack power by force.
The commissioner said intelligence gathering revealed that some fake student leaders had been mobilised to stage an “Occupy Alagbaka Government House” in Akure.
He added that the second protest was planned to hold at the APC National Secretariat in Abuja, with vests and inscriptions that “they do not want Akeredolu but the party can pick one of the remaining aspirants.
However, the Chief Press Secretary to the Deputy Governor (CPS), Mr. Babatope Okeowo, has dispelled all the allegations, saying: “This wild allegation is the figment of imagination of a drowning government.
“The allegation is not only untrue but reckless and provocative as it represents an orchestrated attempt by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s government to portray the deputy governor as a man desperate for power at all costs.”
In another development, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Ifedayo Abegunde, has resigned his appointment from the cabinet.
Abegunde, who tendered his resignation letter yesterday in Akure, did not disclose if he had left the ruling APC or not.
But there were insinuations that the former SSG would follow the Deputy Governor, Agboola Ajayi, to the major opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
No comments yet