
The suspended Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Godwin Emefiele, on Wednesday allegedly opted for a plea bargain after his expected arraignment by the court stalled again.
The matter was not listed on the cause list of a Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Abuja with no reason given as lawyers to both parties were absent.
The Abuja High Court had actually adjourned the arraignment of the suspended CBN governor until today, August 23.
The Federal Government (FG) had initially scheduled last week Thursday to arraign Emefiele and his allies for their alleged involvement in a N6.9 billion procurement fraud.
He was supposed to be arraigned alongside a female CBN employee, Sa’adatu Yaro and her company, April1616 Investment Limited at the FCT High Court in Abuja.
The arraignment was, however, adjourned until August 23 due to the absence of some of the defendants who joined in the charge, especially the second defendant, Yaro.
Counsel to the governmenr and Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation, Mohammed Abubakar, had told Justice Hamza Muazu that Yaro took ill in the morning of last week Thursday, hence her absence.
The suspended apex bank chief, Yaro and her company were charged on 20 charges of procurement fraud, conspiracy and conferring corrupt advantages on his associates.
Emefiele was accused of conferring corrupt advantages on Yaro who is a director in April 1616 Investment Ltd with the offence said to be contrary to Section 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000.
[ad unit=2]
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover