Anambra monarch denies suspended colleagues visited presidency to unseat Obiano
The traditional ruler of Nawfia, Njikoka Council of Anambra State, Igwe Chijioke Nwankwo, has denied that the billionaire business mogul, Prince Arthur Eze, took suspended monarchs to the presidency for the purpose of unseating the former Governor, Willie Obiano in 2020.
Igwe Nwankwo, who spoke to journalists at his palace, yesterday, said the misinformation was responsible for the August 2020 suspension of the monarchs, some of whose certificates of recognition were withdrawn.
He said: “Contrary to what had been insinuated, the monarchs undertook the Abuja trip to demand for the release of their share from the allocation statutorily due to the traditional institution.
The monarch also admitted to have used the letter-headed paper, ‘Concerned Anambra Traditional Rulers,’ rather than the ‘State Traditional Institution’ to author the letter for intervention of the presidency on the matter.
According to him, he did not apologise to the government over the trip, believing that he was not under any indictment to tell anybody about his movement. He asserted that getting permission before travelling was contrary to his freedom of movement, as provided in Sections 41 and exercise of fundamental human rights in Section 36(1) of the Constitution of Nigeria (as amended).
He contended that the former governor had, in March 11, 2021, few days to his exit, issued Certificate of Recognition to another person, despite restraining order of court, which he secured, stopping government from doing so.
The monarch stressed that the situation is such that, for some years now, three persons are laying claim to the traditional stool of Nawfia Community, because of the seeming ill-informed decisions of state authorities on the issue.
Igwe Nwankwo disclosed that he went to court to challenge his suspension, as well as withdrawal of certificate of recognition and got an interlocutory injunction restraining government from issuing the certificate to another person on March 1, 2021.
He said he advised Governor Charles Soludo not to toe the path of his predecessor, but assess the situation in the community objectively and take unbiased decisions, not minding the outcome.