Army clear kidnappers’ camps in Bauchi
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday said it had cleared kidnappers’ camps in Toro and Ningi local Government areas of Bauchi State.
It disclosed this in a statement signed by Maj. Joseph Afolasade, Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, 33 Artillery Brigade, Nigerian Army, Bauchi State, and made available to newsmen.
Afolasade said a detachment of soldiers from the 135 Battalion of the Brigade in Bauchi flushed out the kidnappers from their hideouts on May 14.
He said the troops were deployed under an operation code-named ‘Operation Harbin Kunama II’ to clear the notorious camps in Lame, Burra, Dangarfa and Dangardo forests in the state.
The spokesman said that the soldiers had earlier averted an attempt by the suspected kidnappers to escape, adding that one Ado Ahmed, 20, was arrested.
He said that one Dane gun; one locally made single barrel gun; one locally made pistol and 37 empty cases of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition were recovered from the forests.
Others items recovered, according to him, were two rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition; 10 cartridges and one Gionee cell phone.
Afolasade said that the team thoroughly searched the forests to ensure that no suspected kidnapper was left behind.
He called on people in the affected areas to report any suspicious movement of persons or group of persons to the nearest military personnel in the state.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day of the week. Stay informed with the Guardian’s leading coverage of Nigerian and world news, business, technology and sports.