ASUU denies receiving N52.12b, accuses FG of misleading Nigerians
Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), yesterday, denied receiving N52.12 billion as claimed by the Federal Government.
Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, had recently said government released the money, as part of cumulative earned allowance owed the union.
Addressing the media, Kano Zonal Coordinator, Prof. Abdulkadir Muhammad, said only N22.17 billion was released as Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) out of which only 75 per cent (N16.6 billion) was given to members ASUU, while the remaining 25 per cent went to sister unions.
Abdulkadir, who described the claim as “deceptive, misleading and aimed at smearing the image of our union and members in the eye of the public”, insisted ASUU would not succumb to mischief by the government.
He said: “For the record, the N30 billion, out of which N20 billion was released for revitalisation, was given to university managements to address infrastructural decay on our campuses. No single kobo was given to any member of ASUU.
“It is also pertinent for the public to note that even the N22.17 billion EAA that was paid, only 75 per cent was due to our members, while the remaining 25 per cent was given to other sister unions.
“We, therefore, call on the minister to always put issues in proper perspective and desist from playing dicey politics with serious national matters like university education of the future leaders of our beloved country.”