The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Boko Haram recruiter handed over to army

Related

Nigeria Army. AFP PHOTO/SUSAN NJANJI

Nigeria Army. AFP PHOTO/SUSAN NJANJI

A suspected major recruiter for the Boko Haram arrested on Tuesday last week has been handed over to the army for further investigation, said an official source in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.

The commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Borno, Ibrahim Abdullahi, told The Guardian in a telephone interview around 3.pm yesterday that the suspect had confessed to be a suppliers of arms and IEDs to Boko Haram insurgents before he was finally handed over to the military for further investigation.

The suspect, who pretended to be a hunter, confessed to be recruiting young boys for the Boko Haram sect, by promising them job offer, said the commandant.

“He went about telling the youths that he could help them get jobs that will pay very well in a community where there is no such opportunity at the moment. That was how his cover was blown.”

The defence corps later got a tip off and arrested him at Mussa Village in Askira Uba Local Council area of Borno State.

According to the suspect’s statement obtained by NSCDC, three of his biological children are also “arrow heads” of the sect.

Abdullahi said his agency had to quickly hand him over to the military because it has no facility to keep such high profile suspect.

He stated that NSCDC has made remarkable progress in the fight against the Boko Haram terrorists.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet