Buhari denies receiving monetary gift from Dasuki
• President lauds Conte’s re-election
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has denied reports in the social media that he received $300,000 and five armoured Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV) from the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, in his twitter handle yesterday debunked the allegation, saying the President did not receive any monetary compensation from the immediate past government.
According to him, the claim in the social media that monetary gift and the SUVs were given to the President in the wake of the attack on his convoy in Kaduna last year, was not true.
He said: “We unequivocally deny that President Buhari received $300,000.00 or any monetary compensation whatsoever from the Jonathan Presidency or any of its officials, in the aftermath of that attack, or at any other time since then.
“While it is true that one armoured SUV and one untreated SUV were sent to the President in the aftermath of the attack, the vehicles were in keeping with his entitlements as a former Head of State under renumeration of former Presidents and Heads of State (and other Ancillary Matters) Decree of 1999.
There was nothing untoward, illegal or tending to corruption in the former Head of State and Presidential aspirant as he was, receiving vehicles to which he was statutorily entitled, from the Federal Government of Nigeria.”
Meanwhile, President Buhari has congratulated Prof. Alpha Conte, who was recently re-elected for his second term in office as the President of Guinea.
He said with the conduct of peaceful elections and transitions from one government to the other in the continent, it is clear that democracy has come of age in Africa.
He made the remark at the inauguration of Conte on Monday in Guinea Conakry.
The President was represented at the occasion by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.