Sunday, 17th October 2021
To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Buhari’s anti-graft war a huge success, says Lai Mohammed

By Niyi Bello, Abuja Bureau Chief
15 December 2018   |   4:20 am
Despite criticisms from opposition parties who cited selective trial as the major bane of the current war against corruption by the President Muhammadu Buhari...

[File] Nigeria minister of Information Lai Mohammed AFP PHOTO / PIUS UTOMI EKPEI

• N8.9 Trillion Saved Through TSA
• N794 Billion Looted Funds Recovered
• 407 Mansions Seized

Despite criticisms from opposition parties who cited selective trial as the major bane of the current war against corruption by the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed declared yesterday that the initiative is turning out to be a huge success.

The minister who spoke in Abuja said so much gain had been recorded in the anti-graft war and that if not for the efforts of the present administration, Nigeria’s economy would have hit the rocks because of the negative effects of corruption in high places which he said has reduced considerably.

Speaking at a session with reporters, Mohammed said Nigerians should measure the success of the war against corruption through the various seizures and recoveries that the two anti-graft bodies, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices (and other related offences) Commission (ICPC) had made since the inception of the Buhari administration.

Stressing that the recoveries are unprecedented in Nigeria because it showed the humongous nature of graft in the country’s recent history, Mohammed pointed out that N8.9 trillion was recovered because of the implementation of Treasury Single Account (TSA) which commenced at the start of the Buhari administration and which he said had brought a new system of financial handling by government to minimize sleaze.

The minister also disclosed that over N794 billion suspected to have been looted from government coffers have been recovered including N13.8 billion through the novel whistle blowing policy while 407 mansions suspected to have been built with stolen funds, located in high brow areas of Lagos, Abuja and other urban centres, have been seized by the government.