Court quashes FG’s application seeking vacation order on Igboho
The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) and the Department of State Services (DSS) have again lost an application seeking the vacation of order by the Oyo State High Court, which restrained the government from arresting, intimidating and harassing the embattled Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, also known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Ladiran Akintola said the application by the AGF was against fair-hearing and the fundamental human rights of the applicant because it has to do with his free movement.
Counsel to the AGF, Enoch Simeon, had earlier appealed to the court to vacate its judgment restraining the Federal Government from freezing Igboho’s account and arresting his allies.
According to the counsel, such a judgment is interim and could only stay for seven days.
But counsel to Igboho, Chief Yomi Aliyu, said he had filed for an extension of the order on August 26, 2021 asking the court not to grant the new application.
Simeon subsequently sought another adjournment to enable him reply to the application within the time-frame of seven days.
On his part, counsel to the DSS, T. Nurudeen, said he had not been served with the new processes, asking the court to give a fair hearing to the parties by adjourning the case.
The judge refused to grant the application and adjourned the matter to September 7, 2021 for hearing.
MEANWHILE, the Ilana Omo Oodua Worldwide has expressed displeasure over the release of eight out of the 12 aides of Ighoho, who were arrested by the DSS on July 1, 2021.
In a statement, yesterday, Communications Secretary of the group, Maxwell Adeleye, said the remaining four were still being held in the custody for unknown offense(s), promising that the group shall keep fighting for their release within the ambit of the law.
He said the group would move the released aides from Abuja to Lagos.
No comments yet