Edo police lose patrol vehicles to suspected bandits
Govt debunks reports of ISWAP attack
The Edo State Police Command has said it lost an operative and a patrol vehicle to suspected fleeing bandits in Akoko-Edo Local Council of the state.
The Command’s spokesperson, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Jennifer Iwegbu, in a statement, yesterday, said the bandits carried out the reprisal attack after operatives killed five kidnappers in the local council last month.
Iwegbu added that the attack happened on September 22, 2022 at Ibillo-Igarra Road Junction, while the police were combing the bush.
She added that the anti-crime patrol team of the Ibillo division attacked and killed five kidnappers on August 14, 2022 at Ughoshi- Afe bush, Ibillo in Akoko Edo Local Council.
ASP Jennifer noted that efforts are being intensified by the Command to arrest the perpetrators, adding that the officers are in the trail of the bandits.
She, however, refuted the allegation that the operatives were attacked by Islamic States of West Africa Province (ISWAP).
Also, Edo State Government has refuted claims that it was ISWAP that carried out the attack, when fleeing bandits burnt a Wabaizigan patrol vehicle on September 22, 2022 ,after a thorough investigation by the state security outfits, involving the Police, Nigerian Army, Edo State Vigilante Network and Nigeria Civil Defence Corp.
Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Osa Nehikhare in a statement, said: “There is no evidence of ISWAP or its operatives in Edo State.
“Government assures that it will continue to provide support to the security agencies in the state to tackle crime and criminality and also enhance patrols of the state’s borders to make the state most uncomfortable for the decimated bandits.
“The Edo State government restates its commitment to the safety of life and property in the state and to the sustenance of a safe environment for citizens to go about their lawful businesses.”