Edo records one death, four new cases of COVID-19 third wave
As government readies to begin the second phase vaccination
Edo State recorded one death and four new cases in the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, even as the state prepares to begin the second phase of vaccination to protect citizens against the virus.
The state COVID-19 Task Force Incident Manager, Dr. Andrew Obi, disclosed this after the daily virtual meeting presided over by Governor Godwin Obaseki.
He said: “The four new cases bring the total number of confirmed cases recorded in the state to 107, since July 17, 2021, when the third wave of the pandemic started.
“Edo State, in the last 24 hours, collected 141 samples and recorded four new confirmed cases of COVID-19, with no recoveries. We have also recorded one COVID-19 related death. He was a 75-year-old man.
“So far, in the third wave, we have collected 5,421 samples and recorded a total of 107 confirmed cases, 51 recoveries, one death, and presently 55 active cases that are currently being managed at various treatment and isolation centres across the state.”
Reassuring the Government’s commitment to ending the pandemic and protecting citizens, Obi said all is set for the commencement of the second phase COVID-19 vaccination rollout in the state.
He disclosed that the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency has approved the deployment of 65, 020 doses of the Moderna vaccine to Edo State.
Obi, who charged Edo citizens to leverage the opportunity of the second phase exercise to get vaccinated against the virus, noted that over 95 per cent of newly confirmed cases were not vaccinated.
“This is a clear indication that the vaccines protect against the virus. We call on all Edo people, who have not been vaccinated to get inoculated because the vaccines are safe, free, and effective.”
No comments yet