Edo train attack: 20 kidnapped, not 32, says commissioner
The Commissioner for Communication in Edo State, Mr. Chris Nehikhare, says intelligence report has indicated that 20 persons were kidnapped at the Igueben Train Station in Edo State and not 32 as reported.
Nehikhare announced this yesterday in Benin while giving an update of the incident in a chat with journalists. He noted that seven of the abducted persons had been rescued, recalling that the victims were waiting for a 4:00 p.m. train from Igueben station to Warri when the kidnappers abducted them on January 7.
“The kidnappers successfully kidnapped 20 persons at the Igueben train station and not 32 persons as previously said.
“Out of the 20 persons, seven have been rescued while 13 persons are still with the kidnappers.
“The operation is still ongoing and we are confident that very soon, the ordeal of the innocent citizens will soon be over,” he said. The Commissioner said the government is leveraging its community information-sharing channels to track the activities of the abductors who kidnapped persons at the Igueben Train Station in the state.
He added that security agencies are intensifying efforts to rescue the remaining victims of the train station attack in Igueben Local Government Area.
He further said that the Deputy Governor of Edo, Mr. Phillip Shaibu, had conversation with traditional rulers in the locality on the consequences of harbouring kidnappers.
“If kidnappers are found residing or using any of the property in the community, such property would be forfeited to the state government and would be destroyed.
“Also, if at any point those that use the facility were found to have killed any of their captive, owner of such facility would be charged for murder and prosecuted along with the perpetrators of the crime,” he warned.
The deputy governor also told the traditional rulers to increase surveillance in their areas to prevent crime. He advised the media to work with the information from the government and not from other sources for the safety of the family of the victims. The commissioner stated that Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo had assured the families of the abducted train passengers of safety and rescue soon.