Friday, 1st March 2024
To guardian.ng
Search

Electricity sector in focus as supply stays below 4,000MW, 10 years after privatisation

By Kingsley Jeremiah, Abuja
02 August 2023   |   4:11 am
Stakeholders in Abuja, yesterday, expressed concern over the state of the power sector in Nigeria, lamenting that about 10 years after privatisation of the electricity industry, supply to end users has remained below 4,000 megawatts.

[FILES] Electricity poles

Stakeholders in Abuja, yesterday, expressed concern over the state of the power sector in Nigeria, lamenting that about 10 years after privatisation of the electricity industry, supply to end users has remained below 4,000 megawatts.

To address the poor state of the industry, amid clamour for increase in electricity tariff, the stakeholders, who cut across the industry, said there was a need to convene a roundtable to review key issues bedeviling the sector.

With plan to host the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) Market Participants and Stakeholder Roundtable, Mr. Edward Eje, who is the Market Operator, Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), said the electricity market in Nigeria has not exceeded invoices of 4,000 megawatts since it was privatised, urging industry players to end blame games and find a leeway.

Chairman of the conference, Stephen Ogaji, noted that gas-to-power issues, market liquidity, metering of consumers and other value issues would be prioritised and presented to decision makers.

With a theme, ‘NESI Privatisation and its 10-year Milestone: The Journey so Far, Opportunities and Prospects’, Ogaji said the initiative provides a platform for robust and comprehensive discussions on issues and prospects associated with NESI.

“It is our expectation that the event will bring together various experts, operators, vendors, and miscellaneous other stakeholders necessary for progressive determination of the way forward for the sector,” he said.

0 Comments