Enugu locked down again over IPOB threat

(FILES) In this file photo taken on November 18, 2015 Pro-Biafra supporters shout slogans in Aba, southeastern Nigeria, during a protest calling for the release of a key activist. The protesters support the creation of a breakaway state of Biafra in the southeast and want the release of Nnamdi Kanu, who is believed to be a major sponsor of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and director of the pirate radio station Radio Biafra. - In a region where separatist sentiments often flare up among the indigenous Igbo, officials are pointing at the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra or IPOB that agitates for a separate state. But the situation is far from clear. IPOB says it is falsely accused in a bid to divide the separatists who are already split over strategy. Some southern leaders accuse rivals of sponsoring attacks to discredit them. (Photo by Pius Utomi EKPEI / AFP)

IPOB

Major roads and streets in Enugu state were deserted on Monday morning as residents continued to comply with a sit at home order to press for the release of the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu.

Although the separatist group, which two weeks ago called for the action, had last week, backtracked and asked residents to go about their normal duties every Monday, but businesses and offices remained under lock and key on Monday, August 23 in the state.

As of 9:00 am, no bank, market, filling stations, parks, and government offices among other businesses in the state had opened

Residents, who had early engagements, resorted to trekking to their destinations as commercial vehicles were off the roads.

Many students writing their examinations were taken to their schools by their parents.

However, the school authority at the Air Force Primary School, Enugu, called parents to pick their wards as the examination could not commence by 9:00 am.

One of the workers of an old generation bank had told the Guardian that his “bosses are not giving any hope that we will open. Everyone is living in fear. They are saying open at your peril. So instead of standing here, let me go.”

Last week Monday, businesses that opened were forced to close after reports went round that certain persons were attacking the Gariki market in Enugu.

Although IPOB in a statement by its Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful had announced the cancellation of the sit at home order since last Monday “unless on a day our leader, Nnamdi Kanu is appearing in Court”, fear and confusion may have contributed to residents staying indoors.

This is because, on Sunday, Powerful, who had urged residents and businesses to open on Monday, had raised fears of possible attacks on them, allegedly by the security agencies.

He said the group had uncovered a plot by security agencies to attack residents and blame it on the IPOB.
[ad unit=2]

Join Our Channels