The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Erdogan says wedding suicide bomber was aged 12 to 14

Related

People carry coffins during a funeral for victims of last night's attack on a wedding party that left 50 dead in Gaziantep in southeastern Turkey near the Syrian border on August 21, 2016. At least 50 people were killed when a suspected suicide bomber linked to Islamic State jihadists attacked a wedding thronged with guests, officials said on August 21. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the IS extremist group was the "likely perpetrator" of the bomb attack, the deadliest in 2016, in Gaziantep late Saturday that targeted a celebration attended by many Kurds. PHOTO: ILYAS AKENGIN / AFP

People carry coffins during a funeral for victims of last night’s attack on a wedding party that left 50 dead in Gaziantep in southeastern Turkey near the Syrian border on August 21, 2016. At least 50 people were killed when a suspected suicide bomber linked to Islamic State jihadists attacked a wedding thronged with guests, officials said on August 21. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the IS extremist group was the “likely perpetrator” of the bomb attack, the deadliest in 2016, in Gaziantep late Saturday that targeted a celebration attended by many Kurds. PHOTO: ILYAS AKENGIN / AFP

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Sunday a suicide bomber aged between 12 and 14 was responsible for the attack on a wedding in the Turkish city of Gaziantep.

“The explosion was the result of a suicide bomber aged between 12 and 14 who either detonated (the bomb) or others detonated it,” Erdogan said at a press conference in Istanbul.

He also repeated his assertion that initial information suggested the attack was perpetrated by the Islamic State group.

Erdogan told reporters the death toll was now 51, one higher than the official toll given by the Gaziantep governor earlier on Sunday.

In total, 94 people were injured in the attack including the bride and groom, whom Hurriyet daily said survived the bombing.

He said 69 people injured remained in hospital while 17 were critically injured.

“Wherever this terror comes from, it doesn’t change it for us. As a nation, we will use our full strength, united, shoulder-to-shoulder, to fight against terror like we did on July 15,” he said, referring to how citizens stopped an attempted bid to oust him from power.


In this article:
ISISRecep Tayyip Erdogan
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet