Ezeife, Anenih, Obi join clamour for Igbo President
Former Anambra State Governor, Chukwuemeka Ezeife; ex-Minister of Women Affairs, Josephine Anenih; ex-representative of Anambra Central in the Senate, Ben Obi; National Chairman, African Democratic Congress, Ralph Nwosu; and National Consultative Front (NCFront) chief, Tanko Yinusa, have joined the clamour for a President of Igbo extraction in 2023.
The quintet, who spoke at the unveiling of ‘Global Movement for Igbo President 2023’ in Awka yesterday, said the South East deserved to produce President Muhammadu Buhari’s successor since no one from the zone has occupied the position since 1999.
Ezeife and Anenih warned Ndigbo against working against their interest, saying most Nigerians are supporting the South East to produce Buhari’s successor.
They urged more Nigerians to support the clamour in the spirit of justice, equity, peace, unity and fairness.
Nwosu said that a president of Igbo extraction would address the economic and security challenges facing Nigeria.
Obi, a former Special Adviser to the President on Inter-Party Affairs, regretted that South Easterner had been given the opportunity to rule the country, calling on other regions to allow the zone have the chance in 2023.
“The last time an Igbo man ruled this country was in the short-lived military regime of late General Aguiyi Ironsi, which lasted for only 194 days, and if I am correct, this was like 54 years ago, and Nigeria turned 60 years penultimate Thursday,” he said.
According to him, the region has contributed a lot to the economic, political, and cultural development of Nigeria and deserves to produce the next president.
But Obi said Ndigbo must unite to land the position, warning that “no one will give you president on an on a silver platter, or based on mere ethnic sentiments”.
Yinusa said Igbo have the entrepreneurial and leadership qualities to solve the socio-economic and political problems of the country.
MEANWHILE, Coalition of South East Youth Leaders (COSEYL) has faulted the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, for saying the party’s ticket for the 2023 presidential poll was open to every member of the PDP.
In a statement yesterday by its President-General, Goodluck Ibem, and Secretary-General, Kanice Igwe, the group accused Secondus of making the comment to retain his seat.
“The statement by the National Chairman of the PDP, Prince Uche Secondus, that the party’s presidential ticket for 2023 is open to all persons and geopolitical zones is unpatriotic. Secondus has just exposed his myopic mindset simply because of his desire to retain his office as the National Chairman of the opposition party,” COSEYL said.
The group insisted on a president of Igbo extraction in 2023.
No comments yet