Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Father of three commits suicide in Ibadan


A commercial motorcyclist, Adebisi Adesina, aged 43, committed suicide yesterday morning in Oke Seni area of Ibadan, Oyo State capital.

The father of three, who hailed from Obaagun, Ikirun in Osun State and whose body was found hanging with a rope tied around his neck, was believed to have hanged himself. But the distance of his dangling body, which eyewitnesses said was less than three feet beside the window, raises suspicion that he might have been killed.

Many people, including the early callers to the area, could not hide their feeling as they were shocked to see the body of Adesina hanging with rope on his neck, when the door to his room was forced opened around 10a.m.


The Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Ajisebutu Adekunle, who confirmed the incident, said the body had been deposited at General hospital, Adeoyo, for autopsy. He said though the deceased did not leave a suicide note, however the case is being investigated.

When newsmen visited the scene of the incident, sympathisers were seen in groups speaking in hush tones. They were surprised on why the man, who they described as very gentle, could suddenly take his life.

Younger sister of the deceased, Mrs. Abiodun Afolabi, said: “I can’t explain why this would happen to him because he was not indebted to anybody. I saw him on Monday when he was working. He was a motorcyclist, and he plied routes close to where I live. I just received phone calls from his neighbours that they found him hanging.

“He married two wives, but they don’t stay with him. He stayed alone. He would not fight with anyone. He would wake up early and go to work. He had three children and they are grown up, the first, a girl, should be around 18 years.”

It was gathered that Adesina before his death was said to be suffering from swollen scrotal, an abnormal enlargement of the scrotum. It was also gathered that he had two wives but none of them was staying with him as at the time of his death due to his condition.

Some colleagues of the deceased, who asked not to be named, informed journalists that Adesina had two different failed marriages as a result of the ailment. They added that after the second wife left him, he suddenly developed the habits of excessive alcohol consumption, and was always keeping to himself.

According to the branch chairman, NURTW, Okada Joint “When Adesina was not seen at the park by 10:00a.m. some union members decided to visit his house to collect the tickets from him. On getting to the deceased’s house, they met the door to his room locked while there are traces that someone was inside. With the help of Adesina’s neighbours, the door was forced opened.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet