Fire destroys 30 makeshift houses in Rivers
The Guardian gathered that a female occupant of one of the affected houses forgot to put out a candle she had lit, which spread and destroyed houses around about 6.30 a.m.
Many youths in the densely populated waterfront tried to put out the fire with water and detergent before the arrival of fire servicemen.
Efforts to recover valuables failed because the houses were all makeshifts.
An eyewitness and member of the Port Harcourt City Local Government Area (PHALGA)), Chukwuma Atamkpo, said: “We were on our duty post and we discovered a flame of fire, then we decided to come here with our boys.
“We asked what happened, they said, somebody lit a candle and because the place is a makeshift, the place got burnt.”
A resident, identified as Christian Alali, said he was preparing for work when he saw thick smoke from one of the rooms.
He said: “I was preparing to go to work because I reside in this area and now saw fire. When I ran to the place, they said there was a woman that forgot to turn off her stove and went to work.
“You know the whole place is made up of batcher. So, before they could fight the fire, it escalated to the roof level and affected other buildings.
“If not for the help of the security men and youths around even before the fire service from the state government came, it would have been worse.”
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421
No comments yet