Fire guts house in Lagos as residents lament delay by emergency responders
Residents of a house razed down by fire in Surulere area of Lagos State have blamed emergency responders for the loss of their properties.
An eyewitness said the neighbours called fire fighters when the house located at No. 5, Shonde street, Itire area of Surulere, started burning but they delayed until the house was razed down and properties looted by thugs who assisted in putting off the fire.
Son of the landlord, Damilola Martins, said the fire was caused by an electric spark few minutes after electricity was restored around 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday leading to an explosion.
Another angry neighbour lamented the apathy displayed by the fire fighters. He said they called the fire fighters about eight times immediately the fire started but they were transferred from one quarter to another – from Abuja to Lagos and then Ojuelegba while they tried to put off the fire.
“Some affected residents in the one storey building only managed to escape being caught in the inferno. They could not salvage any of their properties while the house was burnt down completely,” Martins told our correspondent.
The firefighters later came with their truck and some police men at 6:00 pm when the house had been burnt and the fire put out by neighbours.