Fire razes 100 shops at Ibadan market
Safety team sensitizes Lagos traders on fire prevention
About 100 shops, equipment and goods worth millions of naira were yesterday razed by an inferno at a section of Ifesowapo, Iso-Ege market, Eleyele area of Ibadan, Oyo State. An eyewitness, Mrs. Dorcas Olasunkanmi, said the inferno started at about 1:00a.m. and razed the entire Iso-Ege market before the arrival of the Oyo State Fire Service.
Mrs. Modupe Adepoju, who also a victim of the inferno, said she had lost everything she has to the fire, adding that it would affect her livelihood and that of her family. She, therefore, called for the state government’s intervention.
The director, Oyo State Fire Service, Mr. Moshood Adewuyi, who confirmed the incident in a chat with a newsman, Michael Oladejo, said the fire brigade was swiftly mobilized to the scene immediately a distress call was made to his office.
Adewuyi, who lamented the extent of damage, urged traders to be careful with their working tools and abide by all safety procedures. The market had witnessed similar disaster on February 18, this year, with over 50 shops burnt to ashes.
Meanwhile, following incessant fire outbreaks in markets across Lagos State, Altitude Group Ltd, a firm with interests in health and safety consultancy in conjunction with the Lagos State Safety Commission on Wednesday went on a sensitisation visit to Ijora market to sensitise traders on precautionary measures to avert fire disasters.
Rolake Odusi, HSE Lead Officer, while tutoring market operators, listed some necessary steps to avert fire outbreak, which include having fire blankets and extinguishers in their stores and homes, proper storage of petroleum products, avoid use of substandard wiring and illegal electrical connections, removing every obstruction like displaying of wares on access roads within the market for easy access during emergency and availability of water in the market for immediate solution in case of emergency.
“Also, setting fire on refuse generated within the market should stop. Most importantly, security men and traders should have the contacts of the fire services and emergency numbers so as to reach out in time in the case of a fire outbreak, especially at night,” she said.
The Iyaloja-General of Apapa, Alhaja Hafusat Popoola, appreciated the gesture of the team at sensitising them against fire outbreak and the practical demonstration on how to use fire extinguishers and blankets. She promised the cooperation of traders to take proactive steps against fire outbreaks by making necessary provisions for the safety measures required in the market down to traditional means.
No comments yet