Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Four students die in Kebbi from food poisoning


Kebbi. Photo: BBC

The Kebbi State Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Alhaji Mohammed Makawata Aliero, has confirmed the death of the four female students of Government Comprehensive Girls Secondary School, Maga, in Dankowasagu Council.

Aliero told The Guardian in Birnin Kebbi, yesterday, that the students died through food poison given to them by their parents during the visiting day.

The commissioner, who expressed shock over the incident, urged parents to educate their children not to keep food for three days after the visiting day before consuming, adding: “One of the parents confirmed that they brought the food for them and they kept the food for two to three days before eating.”

Three of the students died instantly on consuming the food, while one was rushed to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin Kebbi, where she was confirmed dead, after eating food brought to them three days earlier by their parents.

A nurse at the FMC, who craved anonymity, explained: “After the tests, they discovered that the one brought here ate a poisoned food, while her parents confirmed that she ate one of the late friends food.”

Also confirming the incident, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Basic Education, Hajiya Rafa’atu Noma, said a committee had been set-up by the ministry and would visit the parents.

The names of the students were given as Salome Hassan, Anne Ishaya, Eunice Musa and Abigail Benjamin, all 16 years old.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet