Thursday, 9th February 2023
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Guinea pardons officers who attacked ex-president’s home

By AFP
03 February 2022   |   1:55 pm
Guinea's strongman Colonel Mamady Doumbouya has pardoned two army officers jailed in 2013 for attacking the residence of ex-president Alpha Conde, who was ousted in a coup last year.

A man holds a portrait of transitional Malian President Assimi Goita (L) and Guinea junta leader Colonel Mamady Doumbouya (R) while people gather at Nation square to support the Burkina Faso military in Ouagadougou on January 24, 2022. – The president of Burkina Faso was arrested on January 24, 2022 and detained by soldiers along with members of his cabinet, security sources said, one day after troops staged a mutiny in the jihadist-wracked country.<br />Soldiers rose up at several army bases across the West African state on January 23, 2022, demanding the sacking of the military top brass and more resources to fight the Islamist insurgency that erupted in 2015. (Photo by OLYMPIA DE MAISMONT / AFP)

Guinea’s strongman Colonel Mamady Doumbouya has pardoned two army officers jailed in 2013 for attacking the residence of ex-president Alpha Conde, who was ousted in a coup last year.

Gunmen attacked Conde’s residence in the suburbs of the West African country’s capital Conakry in July 2011.

The move — following Conde’s election to office in December 2010 — triggered a wave of arrests of soldiers perceived as close to General Sekouba Konate.

Konate briefly ran a transition government before staging the 2010 election that Conde won.

Two army officers, Commander Alpha Oumar Diallo and Jean Guilavogui, were arrested for their alleged role in the attack on Conde’s home and sentenced to life in prison in 2013.

Guinea’s Supreme Court later overturned the sentence, but the pair were never released from prison.

On Wednesday evening, a decree read out on public television said that Doumbouya had pardoned the two.

A former special forces commander, Doumbouya deposed Conde in a putsch in September last year, after months of brewing discontent over the ex-president’s rule.

Conde, 83, left Guinea this month to seek medical treatment in the United Arab Emirates.