Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Guinea’s Conde pushes ahead with government after disputed election

Related

(FILES) In this file photograph taken on February 10, 2020, Guinea’s President Alpha Conde (C), gestures as he arrives at The African Union Headquarters in Addis Ababa, during the 33rd Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African heads of States. – Guinean President Alpha Conde said August 6, 2020, that he acknowledged his party’s request to run for a third presidential term later this year, a scenario that has sparked violent protests in the West African state. Speaking at a party congress in the capital Conakry, the 82-year-old president said: “I take note, you heard me, I take note,” without clarifying further. (Photo by Michael TEWELDE / AFP)

Guinean President Alpha Conde has pushed ahead with a new government after fiercely disputed elections last October that claimed dozens of lives.

The 82-year-old leader named 16 new ministers, according to a communique read on state TV on Tuesday night, as part of an expected reshuffle.

Conde won a violently contested third term after pushing through a new constitution that, he argued, meant the two-term limit on president tenure had been reset.

x

He re-appointed most of his previous ministers, according to Tuesday’s decree.

One exception is a new foreign minister — former presidential chief of staff Ibrahim Kalil Kaba, who earned a PhD in mathematics from Louisiana Tech University and later taught at Florida’s Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

x

He succeeds Mamadi Toure, who has been appointed as a counsellor to the presidency.

Conde is due to appoint 20 more ministers, although it is not clear when he will do so.

Guinea is a poor country despite rich deposits of bauxite, gold and diamonds, that has known little political stability since its independence from France in 1958.

x

In this article:
Alpha CondeGuinea
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet