Saturday, 22nd January 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Gunmen abduct Plateau monarch from palace

By Saxone Akhaine, Abdulganiyu Alabi (Kaduna) and Isa Abdulsalami Ahovi (Jos)
27 December 2021   |   3:36 am
Gunmen, in the early hours of yesterday, attacked the palace of the paramount ruler of Gindiri town, in Mangu Local Council of Plateau State, HRH Charles Dakut, and took him away.


•Hunters invade kidnappers’ den in Kaduna, rescue nine victims
•Kukah laments unending terrorism in North

Gunmen, in the early hours of yesterday, attacked the palace of the paramount ruler of Gindiri town, in Mangu Local Council of Plateau State, HRH Charles Dakut, and took him away.

The Guardian gathered that the exchange of gunfire between the bandits and palace guards did not stop the operation, as the invaders eventually overpowered the guards.

The bandits, who abducted the monarch – a member of Gindiri Old Students Association (GOSA) – had not made any demand at the time of going to press.

Confirming the incident, the Military Information Officer of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) in Jos, Major Ishaku Takwa, said the joint task force drafted its men there to maintain peace and order, adding that nobody was wounded in the shoot-out.

MEANWHILE, Hunters have invaded a kidnappers’ den in the Udawa-Birnin Gwari forest in Kaduna State and rescued nine persons.

It was reported that the hunters caught a bandit, who tried to escape and, during interrogation, extracted useful information from him before handing him to the police, a local said.

Although, an official statement is yet to be released regarding the development, the local, identified as Malam Umaru, said the hunters laid ambush for the bandits, days after they attacked a convoy of travellers along the highway.

“The hunters engaged the bandits, which forced them to abandon the victims at their camp. The whole community was happy with their success. If the hunters are supported with vehicles, they would tackle banditry in the community and surrounding villages,” he added.

WORRIED by the terror attacks in the North, the Bishop of Sokoto Catholic Diocese, Matthew Kukah, has said that the region may become ‘Arewanistan’, a situation reminiscent of the crisis in Afgnanistan, if the terrorism is not stopped.

In his Christmas message, entitled ‘A Nation Still in Search of Truth and Vindication,’ Kukah said: “In their sleep, on their farmlands, in their markets, or even on the highway, innocent citizens have been mowed down and turned into burnt offerings to gods of evil.

“Communities have been turned into gulags of misery, death, pain and perfidy. We must move quickly before Arewa, our beloved Arewa, descends into Arewanistan.”

Kukah lamented how he was heavily slammed in parts of the North when he first criticised the Federal Government’s handling of the security situation in the country last year.

His words: “About this time last year, when I raised the alarm about the perilous state of affairs in northern Nigeria, all kinds of accusations were levelled against me, especially by my northern brethren.

“When the Catholic bishops protested openly against the killings of our people in March 2020, we were accused of acting against the government, with religious motives imputed to our noble intentions. Now, we are fully in the grip of evil.”

In this article