Saturday, 4th December 2021
Breaking News:

Gunmen kill two police officers, cart away rifle in Rivers

By Ann Godwin and Obinna Nwaoku, Port Harcourt
04 November 2021   |   3:03 am
Gunmen have killed two Police officers attached to Mile One Police Station, Diobu, in Port Harcourt Local Government Area of Rivers State.

[FILES] Police

Gunmen have killed two Police officers attached to Mile One Police Station, Diobu, in Port Harcourt Local Government Area of Rivers State.
The Guardian gathered that the officers were gunned down during a stop and search at the popular Okija street in the Diobu area of the city.

An eyewitness, who craved anonymity, said the policemen were taken unawares as the gunmen, who were riding on a vehicle, swooped on the officers and shot at them.
He said the victims died on the spot before help could come.
Confirming the incident, Rivers State Police Command Public Relations Officer, SP Nnamdi Omoni, said the Command is investigating the sad development and working to apprehend the culprits.
Omoni, confirmed that an AK-47 rifle was carted away from one of the slain officers, stating that the vehicle used by the gunmen was abandoned at the scene.
He said: “I can confirm the attack by unknown gunmen on our men posted to Okija Street on stop and search.
“Two Police officers were killed. The Commissioner of Police has ordered an investigation into the incident.
“One Toyota Corolla, marked Rivers ABU 380 AW, used by the assailants, was abandoned. One AK47 rifle belonging to one of the officers was also carted away.”

MEANWHILE, property worth millions of Naira were destroyed yesterday following a fire outbreak at an illegal bunkering site, in Chokoko community, Etche Council of Rivers State.

The Guardian gathered that the illegal bunkering site known as ‘Kpofire’, is allegedly owned by a police officer, who is on the run.

It was gathered that the fire ignited from the building, where the illegal products, were stored escalated thereby, destroying property within the area.

An eyewitness, Secretary of the Etche anti-bunkering Taskforce Committee, who gave his name as Noble Nwugha, disclosed that the incident happened at night, about 9:00 p.m, noting that it took firefighters time to put it off.

According to him, “The incident happened about 9:00 p.m. So, when we got there, it was something else. We had to call the fire service from Mile One to come and put it off.

“So, this morning, the Chairman of the Task Force Committee directed us back to the site to see if we could apprehend the man as well as take inventory of what happened. When we got there we heard that the man had run away with his family.

“The Council Chairman Etche Council is aware of the incident. The council has directed that we seal off the building pending his arrest.

“We have written to community leaders and told them to alert us, whenever, they notice anybody indulging in oil bunkering. We will come there and seal off the place.”

In this article