Tuesday, 25th January 2022
<To guardian.ng
Breaking News:

How I jumped bail, by notorious cult member

By Odita Sunday
02 March 2017   |   4:00 am
A self-confessed leader of Eiye confraternity in Shomolu area of Lagos State, Ibrahim Balogun, also known as ‘Jpron’ has been re-arrested after he allegedly jumped bail.


Police arrest 19 suspected kidnappers, 187 miscreants for late night wandering in Lagos
A self-confessed leader of Eiye confraternity in Shomolu area of Lagos State, Ibrahim Balogun, also known as ‘Jpron’ has been re-arrested after he allegedly jumped bail.

Jpron, believed to be the leader of Eiye cult group that had been terrorizing Shomolu, Bariga and Mushin areas of the state, was arrested on November 4, 2016 for multiple murder cases, spanning over 10 years. He was consequently charged to court on November 6, for murder and armed robbery.

Confessing at the Lagos State police command headquarters, Ikeja, where he was paraded alongside six others yesterday, he admitted jumping bail for the fourth time.

According to the suspect, “it was one of my friend, Asumo, who facilitated my bail. We grew up together in Shomolu. When I was arrested last year, he told me he has an uncle who is a Chief Judge serving in Lagos. He said he would discuss my issue with him.

“A week later, I was granted bail. It was Asumo who did the underground work that facilitated my bail. I was surprised that after one week, I was asked to go home but should be coming to court. Asumo was also working to ensure that the case is dismissed for lack of diligent prosecution. We were working on it when I was re-arrested last Friday in court.”

The gang leader, however, said he had denounced his membership of Eiye confraternity. He further disclosed that some members of the cult group in the area who were not happy about his membership renouncement orchestrated his ordeal.

Addressing reporters yesterday, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, said Jpron was arrested based on an intelligence report. He said investigation revealed that the notorious cultist jumped bail four days after he was charged to court.

“We are investigating the circumstance surrounding his bail. He told me that a senior member of the bar actually facilitated his bail. I have discovered that some personnel and some court officials helped him. All those found to have had a hand in his release would also be prosecuted.”

The command also said it arrested 187 miscreants in a raid at Lagos Island, 24 armed robbers, 19 kidnappers and eight cult members across the state. According to Owoseni, 22 exotic vehicles were recovered in different parts of the state.

Owoseni said the 187 miscreants were mopped up around 2a.m. during a raid on the Island. Of the 187 suspects, 167 were males and 20 were females. He also said that after preliminary interrogation, 63 were found to have credible source of livelihood and were released with a warning to be of good conduct.

“The remaining 124 persons were arraigned in court and the magistrate convicted 112 of them while 12 were warned by the magistrate and released. One of those released was a woman who claimed she was pregnant and thus was released on compassionate grounds although she was arrested for selling hard drugs.”

Also, 14 of the 19 suspected kidnappers were arrested on Tuesday after their gang allegedly abducted two private guards at Adebayo Market in Bariga.

It was gathered that gunmen numbering about 24 stormed the market and whisked away two of the private guards, whom they accused of being a stumbling block to their gaining access to the premises.

They were said to have whisked the victims to a place known as Ososa where two teams of policemen invaded and rescued them.

According to Owoseni, the kidnap suspects were being shielded from the media because efforts were on to apprehend their accomplices. He said they would be paraded and then charged to court at the conclusion of investigation.

In another development, one of those arrested during a raid on Adeniji Adele died in police custody. The suspect was said to have stolen an iPhone. He was caught and was beaten up by the mob before the police rescued him.

However, few minutes after his father visited him in detention in the presence of the investigating police officer, he was found dead in his cell. The suspect was said to have removed his shirt and purportedly hung himself on the iron bars in the cell where he was kept.

Already, the police said they have commenced investigation to ascertain the mystery behind the suspect’s death while in police custody.

Owoseni disclosed that out of 25 distress calls received by the police through the control room last month, 20 were successfully prevented.

The police chief also commended his personnel for smashing interstate robbery syndicates, arresting suspects and rescuing victims.

He said a Toyota Highlander vehicle that was snatched from its owner in Ibadan was recovered, the victim rescued and three suspects apprehended, adding that the suspects and exhibits have been moved to Oyo State Command for further action.