Lagos explains why Wonderland event centre is shut
Owners deny knowledge of teenager’s electrocution in facility
Management of Wonderland, yesterday, denied knowledge of the electrocution of a teenager in its facility at Energy City, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos.
The State Government had on Monday, December 26, 2022, sealed off the children’s section of the park over safety concerns. It was gathered that a teenager, who went to the park during the Christmas holiday, was electrocuted by multiple naked wires around the bouncing circle section.
Reacting, the management of the facility said the case was never reported before the decision by the state government to lock up the place.
Co-Founder, Wonderland, Lagos, Ezekiel Adamu, in a statement said: “A video of a parent’s complaint regarding a supposed open wire incident and other safety concerns has come to our attention. One of our major responsibilities is the safety of everyone who visits or works at our entertainment city.
“Before Wonderland Lagos opened its doors, a risk assessment was conducted by Lagos State, after which the entertainment city began to function.
“While we provide spaces for various vendors, regular safety checks are conducted periodically to ensure that our vendors are adhering to our rules, regulations, and safety policies.
“The incident was never reported to Wonderland Lagos officials and was brought to our attention via social media, after which we jumped into action immediately to review our procedures and conduct our own investigations, which are still ongoing.”
MEANWHILE, Director General of Lagos State Safety Commission, Lanre Mojola, in a joint inspection with the Lagos State Task Force team, said the sealing off the facility became imperative to prevent further exposure of attendees, particularly kids at the venue.
Mojola said the event venue co-owner, Adamu had refused to implement safety measures prescribed by the Commission, despite several meetings at the onset of the project, following an initial safety inspection exercise carried out on the venue to deliberate on safety infractions observed within the facility.
He stated that it had become urgent and pertinent to shut down the facility, until all infractions were corrected to prevent users from further exposure to risk, especially children, and to also ensure that other lined-up events were safe for Lagos residents.
The DG said that no individual or institution was bigger than the state and that it would continually ensure the safety of Lagosians as they go about enjoying the festive season.
Mojola warned that facility owners in the state must comply with the state’s safety guidelines on events and urged residents to socialise responsibly.