Monday, 26th September 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Lagos market gets 14-day eviction notice

By Victor Gbonegun
20 May 2022   |   4:04 am
After months of negotiation over modernisation of the market, the Lagos State Government through a joint team of Rapid Response Squad (RRS) and the State Environment and Special Offences Unit ..

CSP Shola Jejeloye

After months of negotiation over modernisation of the market, the Lagos State Government through a joint team of Rapid Response Squad (RRS) and the State Environment and Special Offences Unit (Task Force), has given occupants of Alaba Rago market 14 days to vacate.

    
The team led by Commander of RRS, Olayinka Egbeyemi and Chairman of  the Task Force, Shola Jejeloye, met the occupants of the market in clusters to inform them of the vacation order.
 
Egbeyemi, at the forum, explained that emerging security reports from the area have shown that Alaba Rago has become a den of criminals, stressing that the state government has concluded plans to modernise the place in the shortest possible time in the best interest of the residents.
     
He said last week’s recovery of several guns in Alaba Rago by Ojo Police Division and the revelation by drug dealers that they regularly channel drugs through the area to several parts of the state are the more reasons, government needs to move swiftly to modernise the area for orderliness.

According to him, the demolition of the area is in conformity with government’s  agenda on environment and security, adding that the government  was bothered by the shanties and the filthy condition of the area, hence modernising it would be at the best interest of the occupiers.
  
He urged the residents not to read ethnic and religious motives into the exercise, noting that Lagos State is a convergence point for all Nigerians, irrespective of religion, ethnicity or tribe.

  
On his part, Jejeloye, noted that several meetings have been held with major stakeholders in the past and that the demolition should have taken place during the Ramadan.
 
He said government was sensitive to delaying it for those who travelled for Ramadan to be around. Jejeloye warned that after the ultimatum for the residents to temporarily relocate, for the cleaning up and modernisation, the team would not listen to further excuses from the occupiers.

On his part, Jejeloye, noted that several meetings have been held with major stakeholders in the past and that the demolition should have taken place during the Ramadan. He said government was sensitive to delay it for those, who travelled for the Ramadan to be around.

Jejeloye warned that after the ultimatum for the residents to temporarily relocate for the cleaning up and modernisation, the team would not listen to further excuses from the occupiers.