Thursday, 7th September 2023
<To guardian.ng
Search

Man seeks justice for son allegedly killed by soldiers in Osun

By Timothy Agbor, Osogbo
28 March 2022   |   3:55 am
A parent, Mr, David Adekunle has cried out for justice over the alleged killing of his son, Yinka Adekunle, by some soldiers. The 37-year-old Yinka was allegedly tortured to death by some soldiers at the Infantry Battalion Barracks in Ibodi area of Osun State after a fight broke out between them.   Narrating his ordeal…

A parent, Mr, David Adekunle has cried out for justice over the alleged killing of his son, Yinka Adekunle, by some soldiers. The 37-year-old Yinka was allegedly tortured to death by some soldiers at the Infantry Battalion Barracks in Ibodi area of Osun State after a fight broke out between them.
 
Narrating his ordeal in an emotion-laden voice, Mr. Adekunle said Yinka, his only son, was having a swell time with his two friends at a beer parlour when an argument ensued between them and two soldiers, who were in mufti.
 
According to him, the soldiers purportedly called their colleague, who came to the scene with arms and arrested one of them, while Yinka and the other escaped, abandoning his vehicle at the spot.
 
Adekunle, an estate agent, said the deceased later contacted the soldiers on phone, who reportedly asked him to come with the sum of N50,000 to bail his car at their barracks in Ibodi.

  
He said he went to the barracks on his son’s invitation to come and bail him out, but was allegedly told by the soldiers manning the gate to go and see him at Ayeso Police Station, from where he was directed to the Wesley Guild Hospital, Ilesa.
 Adekunle stated that he was shocked when he saw the lifeless body of his son on a slab in the morgue.
 
He therefore called on the military to investigate the circumstances surrounding the ugly incident and bring those who were involved in the extra-judicial killing to book.
   
The victim’s cousin, who is also a car dealer, said he had initiated a call to a Colonel to help secure the release of his car when the deceased informed him that a friend had already volunteered to go with him, stressing that he was surprised to hear the news of his death.
 
He said the captain who is in charge of the barracks should be held responsible for the heinous crime.
 
They claimed that Yinka’s friend who was allegedly subjected to similar torture is currently living on oxygen at the emergency unit of an undisclosed hospital.
 
Refuting the allegation, the Captain of the Infantry Barracks, Lieutenant Tobi Adedapo, described it as unfounded and baseless.
 All efforts to speak further with the Commanding Officer on the incident were yet to succeed.