NAHCON advocates global discussion on hajj quota
The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has advocated global discussion on hajj quota to ensure effective utilisation of facilities in Muna and Arafat.
The Executive Chairman, NAHCON, Alhaji Abdullahi Muhammad, made the call during the 2017 post Arafat meeting with stakeholders in Makkah, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Muhammad said the call became necessary because of the challenges experienced during core hajj activities in Muna and Arafat.
He stressed the need for all hajj participants to come together to address the challenges and proffer a lasting solution.
The NAHCON boss, who commended the Saudi Authority for organising excellent Hajj, also applauded the Nigerian pilgrims for exhibiting good behaviour before, during and after hajj rites.
He promised to take action against Tour Operators, who abandoned their pilgrims in Makkah and Madina, adding that the commission would not do everything possible to ensure a successful Hajj.
He expressed sadness over the demised of 14 Nigerian pilgrims, including the Legal Adviser of the commission and pray to Allah to grant them eternal rest.
Muhammad disclosed that arrangement had been concluded to commence transportation of pilgrims back to Nigeria.
He added that Gombe, FCT and Ogun pilgrims would be first to be transported on Sept. 7.
The Consul-General of Nigeria in Jeddah, Amb Muhammad Yunusa, who said that no Nigerian pilgrims was arrested with any drugs, commended NAHCON for ensuring sustain campaign against drugs trafficking.
Yunusa called on states’ Pilgrims Welfare Boards and Agencies to educate their drivers on road traffic regulations to avoid road traffic violation.
The Secretary of NAHCON, Dr Bello Tambuwal, announced that the Saudi Authority had given 20, 000 Saudi Riyals to two Nigerian pilgrims that were manhandled by its security agent.
He explained that the money had since been delivered to the beneficiaries.