Fire engulfs three-storey building at Ladipo, Mushin
It took the combined effort of men of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Federal Fire Service, Nigeria Police Force Olosan Division and National Emergency Management Authority (NEMA) to avert a major fire tragedy at Shotiloye Street Papa Ajao, Mushin on Sunday night.
Although, no lives were lost in the incident, when the building located at Ladipo, Mushin was engulfed by fire, which spread from an open land used by carpenters as plank market.
The Guardian learnt that the fire started at a furniture workshop behind the building, due to an electrical spark.
The firefighters struggled to rescue goods worth over N500 million in the area.
Giving details about the incident yesterday the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency LASEMA) said it received a distress call at 11:22pm on Sunday night regarding a fire outbreak at Shotiloye Street, Papa Ajao, Mushin, adding that upon arrival of the Eagle Squad at Cappa, it was discovered that an open land being used by Carpenters as plank market, located at Shotiloye Street Papa Ajao, Mushin, was gutted by fire.
It said: “The fire escalated to an adjoining 3-Storey building (Centri-Fit Auto parts) at 85, Ladipo Mushin. The joint efforts of the LASEMA response team and other Responders were able to subdue the fire from escalating further.”
The South-West Zonal Coordinator of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye said that security fortification of the building made it difficult to access on time, which contained assorted spare parts.
He disclosed that residents around the area did not realise the outbreak on time, stressing that they could not handle it, when it had spread to the three-storey building.
He said: “No life was lost, and operations are ongoing.”