Hunger, food shortages and sustained military offensives have forced 19 terrorist fighters, women and children to surrender to troops in three local government areas of Borno State, the Defence Headquarters has said.
Director of Defence Media Operations (DMO), Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, disclosed this during the weekly briefing on military operations across the country between August 7 and 13, 2026.
He said the 19 persons and 40 rescued kidnap victims had been screened and handed over to the appropriate authorities.
The latest surrender brings to 293 the number of insurgents who have reportedly laid down their arms since the beginning of the year.
Onoja said 197 surrendered in the first quarter, while 39 surrendered in the second quarter. Another 57 terrorists handed themselves over to troops in July alone, with military pressure cited as a major factor.
The development is coming amid intensified operations by troops under Operation Hadin Kai, which has sustained attacks on terrorist positions and enclaves in the North-East.
Onoja said the military successes reflected the progressive degradation of terrorist operational capabilities across the Lake Chad Basin, Adamawa and Borno states.
He said troops neutralised 68 terrorists and arrested 24 other suspects during the week under review.
The Air Component of the Nigerian Armed Forces also sustained combat air support, carrying out precision strikes and armed reconnaissance missions aimed at disrupting terrorist movements, curbing cattle rustling and degrading criminal networks.
In Niger State, an air operation on August 9 targeted suspected terrorists gathered around Sangeko and Baba-Doka in Mariga Local Council.
The terrorists were reportedly travelling on motorcycles.
According to Onoja, the aircraft engaged the group with rockets and cannon fire, disrupting their activities. Initial reports indicated that about 120 bodies and 300 motorcycles were recovered, while surveillance of the area continues.
In Zamfara State, two suspected foreign terrorists arrested in Zurmi were believed to be Improvised Explosive Device experts. Another suspect arrested in Kadage, Giwa Local Council of Kaduna State, was found with foreign camouflage items, mobile phones and identification documents and was subsequently handed over to the Department of State Services (DSS).
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover