Military launches ‘Operation Savannah Shield’ in Kwara after Woro attack

Kwara state map

THE Nigerian military has launched a new security offensive, codenamed Operation Savannah Shield, following last week’s attack on Woro community in Kaiama Local Council of Kwara State.

Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, said the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) expressed condolences to families of victims of the attack and reaffirmed the Armed Forces’ commitment to restoring security in the affected areas.

The operation was activated after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu ordered the deployment of a full battalion of troops in response to the attack, which reportedly claimed more than 100 lives.

In a statement issued yesterday, the DHQ said the operation had commenced and would also cover parts of neighbouring Niger State, adding that the mission is aimed at dismantling terrorist enclaves in the region and ensuring that those responsible for the killings are brought to justice.

The military explained that the initiative, executed by the Defence Headquarters in collaboration with the Army Headquarters and other security services, was carved out of Operation FansanYamma to strengthen security operations in Kwara and Niger States.

“On this note, the Chief of Defence Staff wishes to convey his condolences and sympathy to the Government of Kwara State and the families of victims of the killings in Woro and Nuku villages in Kaiama Local Council of Kwara State on February 4, 2026,” the statement said.

The military added that Operation Savannah Shield is designed to enhance troop presence and operational effectiveness in the area, noting that security agencies are working jointly to create a safe environment where citizens can live and work without fear.

Join Our Channels