Obi raises alarm over North-Central killings

NDC presidential candidate, Peter Obi

Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has described the recent killings and abductions in Benue, Plateau and Niger states as a national security emergency, urging governments at all levels to take urgent action to protect vulnerable communities.

Obi called on governments at all levels to take urgent and decisive measures to protect vulnerable communities, rescue abducted Nigerians and prevent further loss of lives.
The former Anambra State governor made the call in a statement posted on his X handle on Sunday.

He expressed concern over the worsening insecurity in Benue, Plateau and Niger states, saying the attacks should not be treated as isolated incidents but as part of a broader pattern of violence across the country.

According to Obi, at least 23 people were officially reported killed in the Jwak Maitumbi attack in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, although residents reportedly put the death toll above 30.

He added that more than 45 houses were also reportedly destroyed in the attack.

Obi also raised concerns over recent attacks in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, where he said more than 40 people were reportedly killed and over 100 abducted, although he acknowledged that the figures remained contested.

He said the situation was further compounded by continuing violence in Benue State, where communities have continued to experience killings, abductions and the destruction of homes and livelihoods.

“What is happening to our country? In recent days, deadly attacks have struck Benue, Plateau and Niger States, three contiguous states in Nigeria’s North-Central region,” Obi said.

He lamented that Nigerians were being attacked in their communities despite the country not being officially at war.

“Nigeria is not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms,” he said.

Obi urged the Federal Government, state governments and other relevant authorities to strengthen security measures and improve intelligence gathering and rapid-response capabilities to prevent attacks before they occur.

He also called for intensified efforts to rescue abducted citizens and ensure that perpetrators of violence are arrested and prosecuted.

“I urge governments at all levels to wake up to their responsibility and take urgent and decisive action to end this madness once and for all,” he said.

“Government must protect vulnerable communities, improve intelligence and rapid-response capabilities, rescue abducted Nigerians, and arrest and prosecute those responsible.”

The NDC presidential candidate stressed that government should prioritise preventing attacks rather than waiting to respond after lives had already been lost.

“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen,” he said.

“Protecting lives and property is the most basic duty of government. Nigerians deserve nothing less. Nigeria must not become a killing field.”

Join Our Channels

Taboola Recommendation Widget