Sunday, 3rd July 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

New Army Chief launches fresh operation to tackle insurgency

By Editor
20 July 2015   |   11:37 pm
• Disowns Facebook account TO give fresh impetus to the war against insurgency, the Acting Chief of Army Staff, Major General Tukur Buratai, has launched “Operation Lafiya Dole,” as a new code name by the military to tackle activities of Boko Haram. This replaces the former “Operation Zaman Lafiya.” The new code name was derived…
Major-General T. Y. Buratai

Major-General T. Y. Buratai

• Disowns Facebook account

TO give fresh impetus to the war against insurgency, the Acting Chief of Army Staff, Major General Tukur Buratai, has launched “Operation Lafiya Dole,” as a new code name by the military to tackle activities of Boko Haram.
This replaces the former “Operation Zaman Lafiya.”

The new code name was derived from Hausa language, which literally translates to “Peace by All Means.”

Buratai announced this while addressing troops of the 103 Battalion in Konduga, headquarters of Konduga Local Government Area of Borno on Sunday.

He said the objective was to transform the army professionally as well as fast track the war against the Boko Haram terrorists.

“It is the wish of the Federal Government to end this terrorism quickly in this part of the country and indeed some other challenges in the South South and other parts of the country.

“This will make us to have a very peaceful country free from any insecurity,” Buratai said.

Meanwhile, Acting Director, Army Public Relations Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman has alleged that some unscrupulous and criminal elements have started using the name of the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Major General TY Buratai through Facebook platform requesting for friendship, to extort and defraud unsuspecting members of the public.

According to Usman, “So far, three such accounts exist with various types of names using photographs of the COAS in uniform and that of Director Defence Information as profile photographs. While the matter has been reported to Facebook and relevant security agencies for tracking, arrest and prosecution of the criminals, the public is please requested to note and advised not to accept any friendship request or overture from any of such Social media accounts.”

He lamented that the fight against terrorism had lasted for a very long time without much results.

Burutai said, “Consequently as from today July 19, we are here to bury the ‘Operation Zaman Lafiya’ and give birth to what we will henceforth call ‘Operation Lafiya Dole.’

“Operation Lafiya Dole is derived from the belief that we must end this insecurity. We must restore peace to all parts of the North East and other parts of the country that are affected by insurgency.

“We are going to carry this as a war and I appeal to all and sundry to give this operation maximum cooperation.

“We will carry the civil population along, we will also observe the principle of human rights and respect human dignity. We will not trample on anybody’s right.”

He expressed optimism that the operation will yield dividends in a very short time.

“As the insurgents have refused to understand and come to the right way we must force them to make sure that peace returns to all parts of Nigeria,” Buratai said.

In a related development, Major General Buratai has warned troops against acts of indiscipline and cowardice in the ongoing campaign against the Boko Haram insurgents in the North East.

Buratai also urged the commanders to ensure a prompt and timely response to distress calls from communities in the besieged areas.

Col. Usman, said the COAS gave the charge during a visit to troops of 103 Battalion Nigerian Army, Konduga, Borno State.

According to Army Public Relations spokesman, Buratai used the opportunity of his visit to assure the troops of Federal Government’s commitment to the provision of necessary equipment for the fight against the insurgency.