The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Robbers invade Bishop’s Court in Edo


TWO suspected armed robbers have been reportedly shot dead by the police while trying to escape from interrogation after an alleged robbery incident at the Bishops Court, St James’ Cathedral, Igarra, Akoko-Edo local government council of Edo State.

   A third suspect who was said to have been the informant that led to the robbery is said to be in police custody for further interrogation.

   The main suspect (name withheld) is a close confidant of the Bishop Court and has been an adopted son by the Bishop, Rt Rev Jolly Oyekpen and his family.

   He was said to have informed his other two accomplices; one said to be from Delta State but into farming in neighbouring Owan while the other is said to be from Jattu in Etsako West local government council of about N954,000 in the Bishop’s Court which The Guardian gathered was money from church services yet to be deposited in the bank. They were said to have stormed the premises in the early hours of last Thursday and carted away the money and some other valuables like mobile phones.

  However, investigations by the police zeroed their findings to the suspect who was said to have been arrested and after interrogation agreed to committing the crime by giving information about the money to his dead friends.

   The two dead suspects were said to have met their waterloo in nearby Ikphesi where the police was said to have through the principal suspect called on the two to “come for another deal of N2 million”

   On arrival, they were said to have sensed danger and wanted to escape when police opened fire on them. One was said to have died on the spot while the other died later.

   It was gathered that the principal suspect’s share of the loot was N300,000 and was said to have spent N20,000 out of the amount before he was arrested. He was said to have also been planning his marriage which date has already been fixed for later in the year.

    A senior police officer at the Igarra police station said the case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) in Benin City.

   The Police Public Relations Officer, Joseph Edoighiawerei said  “I am not in the office right now but once I get back to the office, I will get necessary details and get back to you”  

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet