We need more troops, mercenaries to fight terrorism in Borno- Zulum
Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has implored the Federal Government to deploy more military personnel and mercenaries in the continued fight against Boko Haram terrorists.
According to him, there are still three major strongholds under the control of insurgents, and currently not enough troops to end over a decade-long war.
Zulum said the shores of Lake Chad, Sambisa Forest and Mandara Hills in Gwoza council are the most affected by the terrorists, who attack communities and return to their enclaves.
“There is a need for the Nigerian military to take the war to these critical areas,” said Zulum on Friday, during an interview on Channels TV’s Politics Today.
He also believes that for the war on insurgence to truly be won, the Federal Government should engage the security forces of neighbouring countries of Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
He said: “Yes, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has done a great job in using airstrikes to bombard these places, but military operations have to be followed by some stabilisation mechanism.
“One of the recommendations is for the Nigerian government to look into the possibility of a coalition with its neighbours, such as the Lake Chad region.”
The governor was reacting to recent killings in the state, particularly the killing of at least 43 farmers in the Zabarmari community of the state.
The farmers were waylaid on their way to their rice farms, which they were harvesting before the surprise attack occurred.
While the state is still trying to recover from the losses, with the government working towards making appropriate compensations, Zulum said: “So far, relative peace has been restored and residents are now able to go about their regular businesses.”