The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Xenophobic attacks: FG summons SA High Commissioner

Related

The minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama has invited the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, for a meeting over the attacks on Nigerians and Nigerian businesses in South Africa.

The meeting is scheduled to hold at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs this morning.

Onyeama had said on Monday that definitive measures would be taken to deal with the attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

He condemned the 'continued burning and looting' of shops owned by Nigerians. He also stated that police protection of Nigerians was ineffective as the 'mindless criminals' went on the spree of attacks and looting.

"Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures," Onyeama tweeted.

Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri also said that there may be a need for the intervention of the African Union in the latest attacks on foreigners in South Africa.

The Nigerian government said that there were discussions about xenophobic attacks last week between President Muhammadu Buhari and South Africa's president, Cyril Ramaphosa in Japan.

Both leaders are scheduled to meet again in October when Buhari visits South Africa.

But the Nigerian government said on Monday that it will "take definitive measures to ensure safety and protection of her citizens" in the South Africa.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet