Obi seeks end to killings as fresh attacks claim over 58 lives in Sokoto, Benue, Plateau

NDC presidential candidate, Peter Obi

Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has called on the Federal Government and other relevant authorities to take urgent steps to end the persistent killings and insecurity across the country.
  
Obi made the call in a statement shared on his official X handle yesterday while reacting to the reported killing of 32 Nigerians in Ungushi, Sokoto State, and recent attacks in Ukum, Benue State, where many people were reportedly killed and others injured.
  
He described the incidents as “deeply painful,” stressing that the victims were not merely statistics but parents, children and breadwinners, whose deaths had left families and communities devastated.
  
“Let’s end this cycle of killings. The killings in Ungushi, Sokoto, where 32 Nigerians reportedly lost their lives, and the recent attacks in Ukum, Benue, where more lives have been lost and many others injured, are deeply painful. We cannot continue with a cycle of killings, condolences, promises and inaction. The government at all levels must prioritise addressing insecurity.
  
“We need better intelligence, proactive security, swift responses, protection for vulnerable communities and the diligent prosecution of perpetrators. The government must endeavour to protect the lives and property of its citizens. Nigerians should be able to sleep peacefully in their homes, travel safely on the roads, and go to their farms without fear,” the presidential hopeful stated.
  
He extended condolences to the families and communities affected by the killings, praying God to comfort the bereaved, forgive the departed and grant Nigeria lasting peace.
OBI’S message came as no fewer than 26 persons were killed and many others injured after gunmen attacked Binper community in Mangu Local Council of Plateau State. The attack, according to residents, occurred between midnight on Monday and the early hours of yesterday.
  
A witness, Daniel Musa, told journalists that the heavily armed attackers moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and slaughtering sleeping residents.
  
He said: “As of this morning, we have confirmed over 26 deaths, while others sustained serious injuries and some are still missing.”
  
Another resident, John Dalyop, who confirmed the attack, described the situation as terrible, adding,

“We expected the new Commissioner of Police in the state to act quickly and go after those responsible.”
  
He said the injured had been taken to nearby hospitals for treatment, while community leaders and residents were making efforts to account for those still missing.
  
Security operatives were also reportedly deployed to the community yesterday morning to restore calm and prevent further attacks.
  
The Mwaghavul Youth Movement (MYM) condemned the deadly attack and decried the government’s failure to protect law-abiding citizens.
  
It called on Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau and President Bola Tinubu to urgently reassess the security situation across vulnerable communities and take concrete steps to prevent further attacks. 
  
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Alfred Alabo, confirmed the attack, adding that the Commissioner of Police, Faniyan Ayodeji, and his team were on their way to the scene to assess the situation.

Also, in Adamawa State, a police inspector and seven civilians were confirmed dead after a suspected Boko Haram attack on Monday night in Gaya community of Hong Local Council.
  
The Chairman of Hong, Aliyu Sa’ad, and a witness, Abdu Ahmadu, said the attackers invaded the community at night, razed two houses and killed eight persons.
  
The chairman disclosed that the military, police, hunters and other security operatives had been deployed to the area to search for the attackers.
  
Sa’ad added that the military barracks at Garaha, near one of the major routes used by insurgents into the Sambisa Forest, had yet to commence operations.
  
The state police command’s spokesperson, Suleiman Nguroje, also confirmed the attack in a statement yesterday in Yola.
  
He said: “The report we received from the area is that on Monday night, bodies of four civilians and an inspector of police were recovered after the attackers left. We are still waiting for an update, since troops have been deployed with all the security agencies, including vigilante and hunters, to hunt for the attackers.”

Join Our Channels

Taboola Recommendation Widget