Ogbete main market in Enugu partly gutted
The cause of the fire that started at the foam section of the market, near the Old Park Area, was not ascertained as at press time, but the timely intervention of the men of the Enugu State Fire Service, saved what could have become a major New Year tragedy.
A source, however, told the Guardian that the fire started from upstairs. He stated that one of the generators that supply power to some of the shops ignited at about 2.00 pm, adding that a combined effort of the traders who engaged fire extinguishers helped the check its spread before the arrival of the Firefighters.
Enugu State Chief Fire Officer, Okwudili Oha, who confirmed the incident, said that prompt intervention of his men saved the market from going up in flames.
He recalled that he had embarked on sensitization and education of traders on how to combat fire outbreaks using fire extinguishers provided for them by the state government.
“That training paid off today when the traders and security men led by Fela, using the knowledge gained from the fire training program to put out the inferno and stop it from escalating.
“The fire which started at a foam shop rampaging to adjoining shops was immediately arrested by traders making good use of the fire extinguishers installed in all corners of the market to combat the fire before prompt arrival of the state fire service”, he said
Ohaa expressed happiness that the traders lived up to expectation by putting their fire training knowledge by the State Fire service to work before his men could arrive at the scene.
He appealed to traders to be careful and always be on the lookout especially this Harmattan period to avoid fire disaster in the market, even as he called on that the market authority to make the roads leading to and around the market accessible to fire trucks in case of any eventuality.
The Fire boss regretted that his men fought so hard for about half an hour to gain access to the market.
He thanked the state governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for the provision of fire extinguishers in the market and for his support to the State Fire Service pointing out that the governor’s proactive measures had saved the situation.
No comments yet