Ondo bans crossover service, extends resumption of schools to January 18
The Ondo State government has proscribed all-night crossover service in all of its 18 local councils. It also directed primary and secondary schools to remain closed till January 18, 2021.
Chairman, State Inter-ministerial Committee on Coronavirus, Prof. Adesegun Fatusi, made the announcements during a press briefing yesterday in Akure.
According to him, the committee had extensive interaction with stakeholders on need to be more proactive in the face of the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
He said the state was ensuring it records no substantial case during this new phase, imploring the people to prioritise existing precautionary measures.
Fatusi, who doubles as vice chancellor of the University of Medical Sciences, said no church service in respect of the New Year celebration should exceed 10:00p.m.
He reiterated that businesses and workplaces would remain open, explaining that government offices maintain same status in addition to strict compliance with safety protocols.
The chairman added that traders had been urged to consistently wear face masks and observe the preventive guidelines in place. Anybody above 60 years of age or with existing ailment(s) “is strongly advised to remain indoors and abstain from social gatherings.”
Fatusi said government would ensure compliance and interact with religious leaders, markets associations, media, unions and other critical stakeholders in checking the virus. He added that from next month, Ondo would be stricter with implementation.
The don reminded the citizens that the law prescribes three months imprisonment or N20, 000 fine or both for offenders.