Saturday, 4th February 2023
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Oyo APC, Accord Party trade words over attack on Adelabu’s convoy 

By Seye Olumide (Southwest Bureau Chief)
19 November 2022   |   3:56 am
Oyo State chapters of All Progressives Congress (APC) and Accord Party, yesterday, differed on the attack on the campaign convoy of Chief Adebayo Adelabu, the gubernatorial candidate of the latter in the 2023 governorship election.

Olopoeyan Commends Arraignment Of Auxiliary
Oyo State chapters of All Progressives Congress (APC) and Accord Party, yesterday, differed on the attack on the campaign convoy of Chief Adebayo Adelabu, the gubernatorial candidate of the latter in the 2023 governorship election.

This was as the leader of Oyo chapter of New Nigerian People’s Party (NNPP), Chief Bisi Olopoeyan, has commended the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Usman Alikali Baba, for the arrest and arraignment of the chairman, Park Management System (PMS) in the state, Alhaji Mukaila Lamidi, popularly called Auxiliary, over alleged acts bordering on political violence.  

Following last Wednesday’s attack on Adelabu’s convoy at Tede in Atisbo local council of the state, which the victim alleged was masterminded by thugs working for the APC, the major opposition party has dismissed the allegation, just as it called on the state Police Command to investigate the incident.
 


The police and private security guards in the entourage of the governorship candidate were said to have arrested three of the suspected thugs.   
 
Earlier in the week, the Accord Party governorship candidate had raised the alarm over plans by rival parties to attack its candidates in the state.    
 
Adelabu had urged fellow contestants to make their campaigns issue-based rather than turn the state into a war zone in the build up to the general election.
 
During the attack, two of Adelabu’s personal vehicles were destroyed while five other campaign vehicles, including the Range Rover Spot of a popular Yoruba Movie Actor and producer, Mr. Soji Taiwo known as ‘Ose Ose Omo Banke’ were destroyed.

Meanwhile, the APC in a statement by its State Publicity Secretary, Olawale Shadare, said the accusation by Adelabu was not only ridiculous but also reckless and regrettable, saying it has exposed the Accord candidate as unserious.

“We have a good reason to doubt the claims of attacks by the former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in view of his ceaseless exhibition of desperation to become governor after he lost in 2019 while on APC’s platform. Also, the place where he claimed to have been attacked is not known for harbouring agents of political violence.

“Adelabu claimed three of his attackers who were arrested confessed to be working for APC but we find this statement utterly reckless, irresponsible and defamatory.” 

Speaking with The Guardian, yesterday, the leader of Oyo chapter of the NNPP, Olopoeyan stated that with the arraignment, he has been vindicated that Governor Seyi Makinde and the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) were behind the destruction of opposition campaign billboards in the state.

Olopoeyan said NNPP was also interested in joining the ongoing case against Auxiliary, saying he could not forget the damages done to him when the suspect and his gangs allegedly invaded his house and wounded members of his family. 
 


The NNPP chieftain, who disclosed that he has concluded arrangement to be joined in the case, added: “I have employed the service of four competent lawyers to ensure that the case is transferred to the Federal High Court Abuja for fair hearing and responsible judgment.
 
“The arraignment held on Thursday in Ibadan was a mere academic exercise as some of the governor’s aides stormed the court with thugs to intimidate the judge. The case is beyond Oyo because the campaign billboards of our presidential candidate, Alhaji Rabiu Kwankwaso in Iwo-Road, Ojoo and over other 30 billboards and hundreds of posters belonging to candidates of our party were destroyed by Auxiliary and his thugs. The Inspector General of Police needs to investigate other atrocities committed by the suspect, not limited to billboards destruction, and ensure that justice is served to everyone culpable in the state.”
 
Olopoeyan cited the day auxiliary allegedly led hundreds of his thugs to breach the peace at a shopping complex in Iwo Road area of Ibadan, which led to the death of a 37-year old man, Rahmon Azeez.
 
“There is urgent need for the Federal Government to intervene in the political unrest in Oyo. The ruling PDP should also desist from parading the likes of Auxiliary because of its desperation for second term,” Olopoeyan said.