Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp
x

Oyo denies stopping Alaafin, Olubadan from entering Salami Stadium

Related

Olubadan

Says unveiled main bowl first phase of project
Oyo State Government, yesterday, explained that two First Class monarchs, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III and the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, Aje Ogungunniso I, were not stopped from entering the Lekan Salami Stadium Complex during the unveiling of its main bowl on Wednesday.

The state government, in a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, said the two foremost royal fathers were too important to be prevented from attending the event, to which they had been duly invited.

According to the statement, the inability of the monarchs to gain access into the main bowl was because of the huge crowd in the stadium, which obstructed the movement of the monarchs’ convoys to the designated VVIP drop off zone, which was the easiest channel to their reserved seats.

x

“What happened was that security operatives advised that the drivers of the revered monarchs make their way through another gate, since their convoys were unable to access the VVIP Drop Off Zone from the gate they entered through,” the statement said.

It noted that all other monarchs, who were inside the VVIP box, including the Olugbon of Ile-Igbon, Aseyin of Iseyin, the Okere of Saki and the Olu of Igboora, were well recognised, stating that “this was an evidence that government places huge premium of respect on the stools of the forebears as occupied by the Kabiyesis.”

“Governor Seyi Makinde wishes to categorically state that the Alaafin and the Olubadan were well-expected at the event and that their seats were reserved.

“The government frowns on reports indicating that the convoys of the revered monarchs were not treated accordingly and would take appropriate steps to correct any untoward indication,” the statement added.

It, however, berated fake news-mongers, whom it said were seeking avenues to punctuate the glorious event at the Lekan Salami Stadium by circulating bad news.

The state government equally described attempts to rubbish the stadium project by some opposition elements as misguided, stating that the claim that only the stadium cost N5 billion was untrue and mischievous.

He maintained that the amount being touted was for the cost of fixing the entire sports complex, which is in phases.

x


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet